Newsletter sent on 24th June 2019
Good Monday morning – if you are Europe.
Last week I wrote Paginating the results of an SQL query. I wanted to discuss an old problem, which is not fancy because it’s not related to some emerging technology. Yet, an impressive amount of websites and applications paginate results in a wrong way, causing an excessive resource usage, and quite often performance problems.
Articles from the web
- Technical Debt: Poor System Understanding While Time Constrained. Technical debt is a common, big problem today. The author says it derives from a poor system understanding in combination with limited time, and analyses the tradeoffs.
- A new website explains data breach risk. Data breaches are more and more frequent, GDPR is scary… this website was much needed, in my opinion.
- How to Autoscale ProxySQL in the cloud. Failover and load balancing are essential to scale a business. But proxy solutions also need to scale.
Nothing really new here since the last newsletter, but let me remind you some future events.
As mentioned in the previous newsletters, the London Open Source Databases group will host two important meetups in July:
- Peter Zaitsev meets the Community in London! PZ is Percona’s CEO and co-founder. He will give the talk Ten things developers should know about databases, followed by an Ask me anything session.
- MariaDB and MySQL dad meets the London Community! Monty, currently MariaDB CTO and MariaDB Foundation co-founder, will sit between us and answer our questions. Beforehand, Vicentiu Ciorbaru – software engineer at MariaDB Foundation – will give the talk MariaDB and MySQL – What Statistics Optimizer Needs Or When and How Not to Use Indexes.
- See the article London Open Source Databases meetups in July.
Lightning talks will open these events, and the Call for Papers is open! Lightning talk will have a 5 minutes length and will be about open source database technologies.
- Percona Live Europe will begin on 30 September, in Amsterdam – still not announced.
- PostgreSQL Vision will be in Boston, 24-26 June
- DataOps Barcelona will be on 20-21 2019
If you like my contents, my public talks, my books and this newsletter, you may want to check my professional services. If you can’t make this kind of decisions, please consider to endorse me with your manager.