Newsletter sent on 19th August 2019
Good Monday afternoon – if you are in Europe.
I published a new article this morning: Cassandra error on login: Cannot achieve consistency level LOCAL_ONE. This is my first article about Cassandra (though recently I gave a lightning talk entitled Apache Cassandra: sharding and consistency). This doesn’t indicate any shift of my interests or professional services. My focus is and remains MySQL/MariaDB ecosystem. But when I used to work as a DBA I administrated several different technologies, and I occasionally still work on them. Remember: avoid technology wars and use the right tool for the right purpose!
This particular article is about an error generated by Cassandra, that confused a customer. They wondered, how can a simple login be affected by the consistency level? Why is the consistency level LOCAL_ONE? Why is it too strict, if one server is running? All these questions find an easy answer if you understand how Cassandra works under the hood.
Articles from the web
- Architecting Containers Part 1: Why Understanding User Space vs. Kernel Space Matters, by Red Hat.
- Zoncolan: How Facebook uses static analysis to detect and prevent security issues – Facebook uses a static analysis tool to identify security problems in their code.
- Improved MySQL Query Performance With InnoDB Mutli Value Indexes – MySQL 8 introduces multi-value indexes, which allows to index JSON. David Strokes shows how to use them.
- But I’ll be frank: I don’t like that Oracle adds features to GA versions. I may be too old, but I prefer to have stable code in production.
Business / workplace:
- Why Buying Software Is So Difficult – What do managers have to consider before purchasing a cloud service?
- An infograhpic by FEMA shows that approximately half of the companies don’t reopen their doors after facing a disaster. This includes IT disasters.
- VividCortex is one of the fastest growing startups: congrats!
- A Q&A with Cloud Architect, Renato Losio – Renato, principal cloud architect at Funambol, talks about working in Berlin and devops culture.
- Percona Live Europe 2019. – 30th September – 2th October
If you like my contents, my public talks, my books and this newsletter, you may want to check my professional services. If you can’t make this kind of decisions, please consider to endorse me with your manager.