Newsletter sent on 9th September 2019
Good Monday morning – if you are in Europe or in Africa.
No new contents on my website to report. However, I have plenty of contents about the web to share with you. Feel free to send me your comments! I try to answer everyone, possibly with some delay.
Articles from the web
- Get the most IOPS out of your physical volumes using LVM – How to merge and strip disks with LVM to optimise IOPS distribution
- Why does Vitess recommend 250GB per MySQL server? – Vitess is an open source solution to shard data in MySQL, originally developed by YouTube
- What’s new in Cassandra 4 (Alpha release)
- YugaByte DB 1.3.1 – An analysis by Jepsen
- Linux Pressure Stall Information (PSI) by Example – A method to monitor the CPU
- Why You Need SQL Window Functions (part 1) – A gentle introduction to SQL window functions
- Solving the eight queen problem in SQL – A weird use case for common table expressions
IT and Database strategy
- On MariaDB. Interview with Michael Widenius – Some time ago, MariaDB acquired Clustrix. Here’s why and what to expect
- Comparing Failover Times for Amazon Aurora, Amazon RDS, and ClusterControl – Note that the article is from SeveralNines. However, do you do this kind of comparisons to select cloud vendors?
- The Terrors and Joys of Terraform – “This article documents our journey to the cloud over the last three years using Terraform”
- A record-breaking place to invest – A record-breaking place to invest – Scotland is a great place to invest, and IT is one of the sectors that are growing fast. If you are worried about uncertainty in the UK, keep in mind that brexit – especially a hard brexit – would make Scottish independence more likely.
- 11 Best Practices for Working Remotely – Personally, I think that not everyone performs well when working remotely. Working from home requires some adjustment. Here’s some good advice.
- It’s later than you think – Keep this reading for when you have time, but don’t forget it. It’s a tale of a personal tragedy, and it can make us think about our mistakes before it’s too late.
- Percona Live Europe 2019 – 30th September – 2th October, Amsterdam
- Digital Transformation Expo Europe – 9th-10th October, London
If you like my contents, my public talks, my books and this newsletter, you may want to check my professional services. If you can’t make this kind of decisions, please consider to endorse me with your manager.