I can deliver onsite MySQL training and remote MySQL training.
Training can be tailored for particular crowds, such as: developers, junior MySQL DBAs, DBAs working with other RDBMSs, system administrators, developers, analysts.
Standard courses are:
|MySQL Essentials for DBAs||2 days||2,000 GBP|
|InnoDB storage engine||2 days||2,500 GBP|
|MySQL replication||2 days||2,500 GBP|
|Galera Cluster||2 days||2,500 GBP|
|MySQL query optimisation||1 day||1,500 GBP|
|MySQL window functions and CTE||1 day||1,500 GBP|
|MySQL stored procedures||1 day||1,500 GBP|
Travel and accommodation expenses for onsite training are not included.
For 2-days online courses, the price is 500 GBP per attendee; for 3-days online courses, the price is 700 GBP per attendee. If you are interested in the next online course, contact me. If I see enough interest, I will schedule a training soon.
- You will receive a copy of the slide, and other used documents if any.
- You will receive examples, or links to repositories which contain all examples.
- Onsite only: collective interactive exercises.
- Questions, questions, questions.
- There will be some physical or virtual place for networking and open discussions.
MySQL Essentials for DBAs
This course is intended for devops, novice DBAs, and for DBAs who are not familiar with MySQL.
If the company uses MariaDB or Percona Server, the course can be done using the same DBMS.
- MySQL, Percona Server, MariaDB: choosing wisely
- MySQL architecture
- Installing MySQL from binaries or packages
- Configuration and performance tuning 101
- Backup and restore (Xtrabackup, mysqldump)
- Recovering corrupted tables
- Upgrading reducing risks
InnoDB storage engine
This is a course for DBAs who need to consolidate their knowledge of InnoDB, for better performance and reliability of their servers.
- An overview of existing storage engines
- InnoDB overview
- Transactions 101
- Buffer pool configuration
- Transaction logs configuration
- InnoDB tables and indexes
- InnoDB recovery mode
- InnoDB tables backup and restore
A course for DBAs who need to setup a replication environment for the first time, or need to understand better how replication works and how to deal with typical problems. It is pretty much hands-on, but with important theory parts.
It does not cover GTID or ProxySQL details.
- Understanding the binary log
- Configuring a master
- Starting the first slave
- Adding new slaves
- Master-master setup
- Slave promotion with GTID
- Resolving conflicts with pt-table-checksum and pt-table-sync
- Restarting replication without resolving conflicts
- Monitoring replication
- Failover example with ProxySQL
This course is for MySQL DBAs that have no knowledge of Galera. On request, Percona XtraDB Cluster or MariaDB can be used.
- Galera overview
- Designing a cluster
- Starting a new cluster
- Rolling upgrades
- Disaster recover
- Performance tuning
- Avoiding flow control
- Running DDL
MySQL query optimisation
Suitable for both DBAs and developers.
- Understanding indexes
- The EXPLAIN commands
- Optimizing the WHERE clause
- Comparisons that can be optimised
- Equality and ranges
- OR operator
- Functions and virtual columns
- Covering indexes
- ORDER BY clause
- GROUP BY and HAVING
- Optimizing JOINs
- Optimizer hints
MySQL stored procedures
- Overview of stored programs (procedures, functions, events, triggers)
- Parameters and variables
- Structures control
- Error handling
- Passing and returning JSON documents
- Using triggers to validate or transform data
- Good and bad practices
- Advantages and disadvantages of stored procedures